WHAT EVERY MAN AND WOMAN IN THEIR TWENTIES AND EARLY THIRTIES SHOULD KNOW.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Reply from the Ministry of Education

The reply from the Ministry of Education arrived on 9th September, so I am sharing it with you all here. Scroll to the end of this piece for their reply. I am starting to learn that politicians reply with a guarded and non-committal standard-form answer which at first blush can dishearten, I am sure. But of utmost importance is that the message was sent, and one hopes, not only will be read but digested and acted upon by someone with the power to change policy. I have asked them to indicate to me where I can follow the policy considerations that the Government is said to be taking.

I could continue to sigh at certain responses I get from people to the work I am doing to raise awareness - only today after my previous blog article, I received the following comment from someone:

The person acknowledged reading all the information circulated and to being able to see what we were working so hard to change, and so hoped it made a difference. And we were wished all the love and luck in the world.

Now don't get me wrong, I value the support that is expressed a great deal, but if I were of a less determined and optimistic spirit I would be saddened at the fact that it feels as if a key point continues to be lost a little, however clearly I think I articulate it; it feels as if people still view from the sidelines to an extent.

So at the risk of sounding repetitious I will say it again. We are each of us a vessel and conduit for better communication and change. Every thing we do or say, however little it may seem to us at the time, can have a positive impact. We just need to try. It isn't all up to someone else or me, to make a change. So here is my reply to anyone and everyone who still doesn't feel the need or is worried about being pro-active:

"I hope that my work empowers you to have the conversations that have been so sadly lacking - you too can make a difference!"

Good luck everyone!


REPLY FROM MINISTRY OF EDUCATION (9 SEPTEMBER 2010):


"Thank you for your email of 10 August addressed to Ministers about improving sex education and awareness of fertility issues. On this occasion I have been asked to reply.

Following the instatement of the Coalition Government, Ministers are considering their position of a number of policies, including SRE. They do believe it is important that all children should have high quality SRE in school in order to make the right decisions in later life. However, they recognise that there are a wide range of views on SRE and want to ensure that they are adopting the best approach. They will announce their intentions in due course.

Thank you for taking the time to write and I hope you are reassured that this issue is very much on the Government's agenda.

Yours sincerely

Leona Smith
Public Communications Unit
www.education.gov.uk"

No comments:

Post a Comment